Wednesday, July 4, 2012

First 4th of July Abroad!

Well, it's weird not being in America on this fine Independence Day.  I've always done the whole family and fireworks thing...usually at New Life Ranch with all of the wonderful staff and family campers, which makes it even more fun.  But this year - alas - I am on my own in celebrating the birthday of my country.  I celebrated by singing God Bless America all day long....and that's about it!  I didn't even really have anything American to wear - the old red, white, and blue I mean.  I tried to plan my wardrobe to not look so American while I was over here (did NOT work out well - they are way too stylish over here), so I had to settle with annoying the boys with my own renditions of every USA song I know.  It's been great.

Okay, I will be honest with you all - I've had a really tough week.  The main thing that has been so hard on me is learning how to handle behavior problems with the boys.  I will say it again - the culture is so very different here.  What is acceptable here is different than what is acceptable back home.  It's just been really hard for me to deal with some of these differences in how things and situations are handled.  I've been getting so frustrated lately and I hate that.  I don't want to be mad or frustrated - especially at the boys.  Please continue to pray for me and that the Lord would continue to bless me with patience and endurance to finish strong.  


I've also been wanting to go home so badly - which has made everything a tad bit harder.  I've never really been away from home for more than a month before - and I'm coming up on almost two months since I've seen my family.  I miss them desperately.  I think it just really hit me last week how long I've been gone and how much I take them for granted sometimes.  My family is so so great, you guys.  I am seriously the luckiest girl in the whole world!  My have the best parents, the coolest siblings, the most loving grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.  I just feel so blessed.  


Okay, so this will be somewhat brief - I am pretty exhausted tonight!  But this past weekend was another grand adventure!  I was able to go out with the family and we all slept on the boat!  It was so so much fun.  We went out to an island called Capraia (NOT Capri - google it!) on Saturday and had dinner on the island. It was so fun - we got pizza and then hung out at this little bar and Gioele and I danced the night away!  Sleeping on the boat was something I was a tad nervous about - but it was not bad at all!  Waking up on the sea was one of the coolest things ever.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  We then went to a beautiful little area off the island to swim and stayed there all day and had lunch on the boat.  I will add pictures below!  It was just a beautiful place - very special day!  The last few days we've just been going to the beach and Calidario to swim in the natural hot springs.


It's been a hard week - but today was a good day.  I am holding on to that.  Plus, I am going home in three weeks from today!  Can you believe it?!  Time has definitely flown by this summer, but I am starting to feel ready for school again.  I can't wait to get back!  Anyway, I think that is all for now, I am ready for bed.  But here are some pictures of our trip to Capraia!  Enjoy!
Buono notte!
Maddy

The port where we stayed the night.

My boys!

Where we spent our day.

Swimming with Gio!

The rocks were huge!

Try to find the family.


He's precious

He saw one jellyfish and never left the boat again. haha

Me and the boys

The family!

The islands around here remind me of Jurassic Park!


12 comments:

  1. Hey Maddy! Great post and awesome pictures. How beautiful. I loved seeing the family too. I wish I was there. Love you tons!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mads,
    Happy Independence Day! God bless America and God bless you! I love reading your posts and can't wait to have you home. Love you lots and lots. Great Pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddy!
    What a wonderful adventure you must be having! It looks so beautiful there!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so jealous! Looks like you had a fun time on the boat...and gosh, it's so beautiful! Only three more weeks...you can do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maddy
    Loved your post again. The pics are beautiful! Looks like the boat trip was an adventure and the boys are precious! Enjoyed seeing the family. And you are not so bad yourself!!!! Miss you. Thanksgiving will be here before we know it. Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy your sharing though I'm sorry for your hard times. But remember my favorite axiom, "The way out is through." The Lord will protect you as He leads you.
    The place is beautiful. I so appreciate the photos.
    I love you and am so proud of you.
    Papa Rex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mads: thanks for sharing your heart...we continue to pray HIS presence will be a great comfort. Can't wait to see you and hear about the entire summer. Ryan is right, "you can do it!!"....and Papa Rex hit it on the nail..."the way out is through"...love the pics of the boys and the family. beautiful area of the world. Love you, Pop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maddy! Happy Belated 4th of July. God Bless America! Sorry you had a hard week. I am praying that the next three weeks will be full of amazing moments with the boys; that they will feel your love and respond well to you. Keep focusing on the positive!

    Much love, Aunt Dena

    “A difficult time can be more readily endured if we retain the conviction that our existence holds a purpose – a cause to pursue, a person to love, a goal to achieve.” - John Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maddy, love your posts (glad we are finally able to send our comments). You look beautiful and Italian---looks like you could be part of their family. We will keep praying that God grants you the strength and patience to finish strong. I know you are leaving a lasting impact on the family. We love and miss you! Mama Nawanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maddy, I have been following your awesome adventure. You have been doing beyond great.
    I remember being in various foreign places all by myself, very nervous/concerned. I look back and realize I did fine. You are doing much better! Keep at it! Very soon (happily/sadly) you will be heading home. Enjoy your remaining time and the sights (you seem to be doing that pretty well already)!
    Thank you for reminding me about the beauty of the Mediterranean Sea and great feeling of sleeping on the water. I miss those days!
    Uncle E (John)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Madison!
    You are so great! When I have a tough time with my kids (um, it doesn't happen that often... yeah right!) I take a deep breath, sometimes remove myself from the situation and repeat to myself, "In my anger I will not sin". :) It can be really tough to not get frustrated. I will pray that they will see Jesus in you and that He would be glorified!
    I am beyond jealous of the places you get to go. Soak it up and take lots of pictures!
    Miss you!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have so enjoyed your blog! I have just now figured out how to comment on it! lol I'm a little behind on such techy things! It sounds like your doing a great job, and it's always harder to deal w/someone else's kids when disciplining than your own. Hang in there, you will be rewarded! Love ya,
    Miss Connie
    Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete